1/27/10

S.O.A.P. Jonah 1

Book of Jonah is one of my favorites because I see myself in so much of his story. As I read Ch. 1 today, I was impacted by 3 thoughts:

1. Jonah 1:9 where Jonah said, "I'm a Hebrew and I worship the Lord, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the land.

  • Even though Jonah's words say the right things about him, his life's actions say something different because when God told him to go to Ninevah, he went the opposite direction.
  • Our words and our actions need to connect to say the same thing or else our lives will have no meaning.
  • Am I doing the OPPOSITE of what God has told me and still saying I worship Him?
  • Is that even possible?
2. Jonah 1:12-14 The sailors asked, "What should we do to stop this storm? Jonah said, Throw me into the sea and it will become calm. Instead, the sailors rowed even harder to try to make it to shore."

  • When we aren't willing to listen to God, then others will not be willing to listen to us.
  • This causes a ton of hardship in families and elsewhere because even though you may be in a leadership position, people don't follow positions, they follow people who have credibility because of obedience.
  • Are you willing to follow the Spirit's leading? if so, then others will see that in our lives and be willing to follow us.
3. Jonah 1:6 The captain to Jonah, "How can you sleep at a time like this? Wake up and pray
to your god. Maybe he will pay attention to us and spare our lives."

  • How can we sleep(spiritually) now?
  • These times require us to be alert, awake, and at our stations.
  • Your family needs you, your church needs you, and your community needs you to wake up.
  • Going the opposite direction from God produces sleep(spiritual) in our lives.
  • Am I asleep below deck or awake and in my place?

No comments: