5/29/07

All Gave Some, Some Gave All











On Monday I had the privilege to be a part of the Memorial Day Service held at the Veterans Park next to the Gonzales branch of the Library. It was a unique affair different than most things of which I am a part. It was somewhat like a funeral, yet also like a celebration. We honored those who have given their lives while serving in the armed forces around the world throughout all of the conflicts that we’ve been through: Korea, Vietnam, WWI & II, Desert Storm and the war on terror. The phrase, “Freedom isn’t Free” was repeated several times and I have been pondering the price of what I enjoy each and every day. I believe that the Holy Spirit reminded me that “God gave His only begotten Son…” just as other families have given their sons and daughters. This idea of going off to fight for what we value is not a new concept nor did it begin with America. We have a great heritage of self sacrifice from the days of our birth as a nation till today. I’ve never served in our armed forces and in some ways I regret that decision. I am challenged by the scripture to take up my cross and die daily for the cause of Christ. I so appreciate all who have served and especially those who’ve given all so that I can live in the USA of today. I’m equally appreciative of all who’ve died to self so that I could have a choice to repent and receive Christ personally. No matter how you think about it, we enjoy everything we have as a result of someone else’s decision to “give all” so that the cause of Christ and America live on today. I want to be one of the ones who gives all because I believe in both.

No comments: