9/11/07

Dave and Me at Rotary


It was my turn to schedule the program for our Rotary Club this past Tuesday morning and I couldn’t think of anyone better to speak to the group than Dave Ohlerking of Children’s Cup. Many of you remember him as the leader of the group we are partnering with to do the church/Care point in Masvingo, Zimbabwe. I set up the video, and we showed a video clip and then Dave spoke to the club. I really didn’t know how they would react, since HIV and orphans is a pretty heavy subject to address first thing in the morning. He did a good job outlining the problem and then talking about how we are partnering to be part of the solution. It was very quiet but several asked questions and I could tell that they were having a hard time getting their minds around cultural norms in Africa. Just as it’s hard for us to understand their culture, I’m sure they struggle with American culture. A few stayed after and talked to me and I could tell that they had been impacted. It was another way for the church to speak with actions rather than just words. I read in the gospel of John today where Jesus asked a question, “Do you understand what I was doing?” It is good to be doing things that need an explanation because they cut across the grain of “normal”. I need to get busy doing something. Later, I love you all.

No comments: