2/12/08

National Prayer Breakfast


I had the opportunity to attend the National Prayer Breakfast last week in Washington D.C. Gene Mills asked if I would attend in his place with Senator David Vitter and of course I’m grateful to both of them for the opportunity to attend. I always enjoy D.C. and Vanessa and I had a great time in the city. The speaker this year was Ward Brehm, chairman of the Africa Development Fund. His message was one of helping the poor in their poverty. Some of his main points were:

· Don’t lead thinking of you, but for 7 generations after you.
· God is often all the poor have
· We need to cross the street and cross the ocean.
· Attend to small disasters at home and huge ones across the sea.
· One million miles from my comfort zone but just 5 miles from my house.
· Jesus said, when you’ve done it unto “ONE” of the least of these, you’ve done it unto Me.” Look for one.
· Poor are not a group or a demographic, they are “1” individual.
· Africa awakened me and I didn’t even know I was asleep.
· God’s strategy for letting the poor know He loves them is US.


A host of who’s who were there from the political world, in fact I had a seat better than Chuck Colson but not as good as Rick Warren’s. Michael W. Smith sang a couple of his powerful songs and led us in worship. The whole message of using our strength to help the weakest among us was right on target for me. God has continually spoken this to me and challenged me to live it daily. What a privilege, thanks Senator Vitter, and thanks Gene Mills.

No comments: