11/28/07

My Night at the Anger Mall

I’m not normally a Black Friday shopper, but wanting to be all that and a bag of chips dad to my kids, I took the two oldest boys to the Tanger Mall for a 30% off sale that started at midnight. I knew we were in trouble when we approached the mall via Hwy. 30 and I saw traffic backed up on I-10 from the east as far as the eye could see. We were moving very slowly and by the time we got into the mall itself, I knew this was going nowhere. Our destination was the new Nike store and some basketball shoes, but as we finally found a place to park and walked too far to the store we were greeted by 7 or 8 lines of 20+ people per line waiting to check out. It seems that the crowd built early so they opened the store early. My son pleaded and so I had to do my best sales job of convincing him that another time would be better. Getting into and out of the place was nightmarish. I’ve renamed the Tanger Mall the Anger Mall because of my subsequent 2 or 3 trips back that weekend to try to get the shoes. The switch has been flipped, and the shoppers are out big time. I’ve decided that I’d be willing to spend 30% more than regular price just so I don’t have to wait in those lines. It’s amazing how hostile people shopping for CHRISTmas presents during CHRISTmastime can be, myself included.

No comments: