4/10/08

If We Can Agree

The other day I picked up 2 of my children for a baseball game and offered to buy them a snack from somewhere, they only had to agree as we didn’t have time to make 2 stops. I listened quietly to them try to come to some kind of agreement. What one wanted, the other absolutely refused. When the other made a suggestion, then the first wouldn’t hear of it. I know they were hungry because they always are after school, yet because they couldn’t agree they went to the game hungry and irritated. I thought of the scripture where Jesus tells us, “If two of you agree here on earth concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you.” Matthew 18:19 I wonder how many times we don’t get what we desperately desire because we can’t agree. Unity in a relationship, a business or a church is an incredibly valuable commodity. In fact, so much that Jesus spends the entire 17th chapter of John’s gospel praying for unity. What is possible when we have one heart, one vision, one love: the cause of Christ? Anything we ask. I’m in, are you?

No comments: