5/23/08

When It’s Fair To Compare

One of the biggest challenges that I face as a Christian, father, and pastor is in the area of comparing myself to others. It’s always been easy to look across at another person and see how I’m doing according to them. The trouble with that is that we either end up prideful or jealous. Think you’re doing better and you could be prideful. Think someone is doing better than you and jealousy and envy rear their ugly heads. That’s why Paul cautioned us in 2 Cor. 10:12, “But they are only comparing themselves with each other, using themselves as the standard of measurement. How ignorant!”
Instead, the Psalms encourages us in this comparison; “Psalm 119:6 (NLT) Then I will not be ashamedwhen I compare my life with your commands.” We ought to compare ourselves to God’s commands. It’s like a mirror that we can look into to see how we are doing. Everyone wants to know how he or she is doing, that’s natural. Measuring ourselves by the wrong standard is dangerous, but comparing ourselves to God’s commands will help us to grow and develop without the damaging attitudes that go along with comparing ourselves to others.

No comments: