4/3/07

Amazing Grace

Friday night I took most of the family to see “Amazing Grace”, the story of William Wilberforce’s 40+ year battle to see the slave trade abolished in 19th century England. Tony Perkins, former Representative and current head of Family Research Council, and Gene Mills of LA Family Forum hosted the event for pastors and their families at the Rave Theater on O’Neal Lane.
I loved the movie and found it quite inspiring. Wilberforce’s battles with his foes and also his own weaknesses are common to all of us. I was surprised that my small children liked it and could follow the story, a great story of one man’s battle against the injustices of the slave trade. It made me rethink my commitment to fighting injustice in our community. The Jesus in me wants to see justice in the lives of the people that I serve. I am so passionate about the project “Silencing the Cries” that we are involved in by partnering with Children’s Cup to see a feeding center/ church in Zimbabwe to bring Christ’s justice to those who suffer being orphaned by AIDS. I’m convinced that one can make a difference because God always starts with one.
The movie is rated PG for several curse words and mild graphic depiction of the mistreatment of people as slaves. The language is the biggest negative for me because our children don’t hear us use that kind of language. It just created another teaching moment for us to hear the world but choose how we live our lives. I encourage you to see it.

No comments: