1/7/08

First Deer


This past Thursday and Friday I went hunting with two of my good friends, Jay Miller and Gene Mills. Jay took us to a hunting camp just outside Natchez, MS. I’ve only taken my two oldest boys deer hunting before, never been as a hunter myself so this was my first rodeo. I had to borrow a rifle as I don’t own one, and a gentleman named Mr. Millet volunteered his 30-06 to me. We hunted three times, Thursday afternoon and Friday morning and afternoon and saw probably 35 deer in all. Just before the sun set on Friday afternoon, I took the 8 point deer pictured above. I’m really not much of a hunter but I enjoyed spending time with my friends and the deer camp was plush. I didn’t make a very good shot, but I got my first buck. For those hunters wondering, NO, they did not smear me with blood, instead I suggested that after the deer sausage is made to smear some sausage grease on me.

No comments: